Review: Kiehl's Gift Set


    Kiehl's was giving this gift set away for Christmas and it included their famous Lip Balm #1, the Ultimate Strength Hand Salve, and Creme de Corps Soy Milk and Honey Whipped Body Butter. I am a huge fan of Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate so I was pretty excited to try these :)

    Luxuriously Whipped. Sinfully Addictive.
    • Luxuriously scented cream – light on skin, yet rich in 24-hour hydration.
    • Decadently air-whipped for instant penetration to restore, protect, and soften skin.
    • Quickly absorbed to deliver deep moisturization and leave a light, addictive scent on skin.
    • No parabens, glycols or silicones.

    Starting with my favorite - the Creme de Corps Soy Milk and Honey Whipped Body Butter. You're supposed to use it after a shower on slightly damp skin. It smells AMAZING. It smells better than any The Body Shop body butter I've sniffed actually and I think I can say I've smelled all of them. Sadly.

    Good
    Anyway, the scent is phenomenal - exactly like you'd imagine soy milk and honey to smell with a hint of coconut ^_^ Warm, sweet, and good enough to eat! It smells stronger in the tub but is not so strong on your body. The whipped texture makes it's lighter and it absorbs without leaving (as much) slick residue that heavy creams moisturizers usually leave.  The whipped, airy texture is something that truly sets this product apart from The Body Shop body butters, which are more liquid-y and slick.  The texture is unusual and luxurious, something I have never used before.

    Bad
    • This is very moisturizing but a bit harder to spread compared to the more liquid-y TBS body butters.  However, when you it apply it to damp skin like the instructions say, it does spread a bit easier.
    • I would say that I like this body butter more than The Body Shop's.  That said, I'm not parting with $35 for 8 oz. For reference TBS body butters are 6.9oz and normally retails for $18.

    So, do I recommend this? Yes, if you have disposable income and love body butters. A lot. For people not loaded or off their rockers, I would say that The Body Shop Coconut Body Butter is a more than adequate substitute. 

    Note: TBS Cocoa Body Butter doesn't smell the same (or as nice) as the Cocoa Butter Lip Care Stick strangely enough. Get the Coconut Body Butter, which smells nicer I think. Fyi I am so going to be jumping on the Chocomania lotions once they go on sale....haven't smelled one yet, but it sounds delicious...

    Formulated for the driest, most active hands, this heavy-duty moisture treatment is a thick, rich formula offering all-day care and protection. Our blend of select ingredients allows skin to actually draw and absorb water from the air, forming a "glove-like" protective barrier against moisture loss. This formula, which contains a blend of botanical oils as well as natural wax derived from Olive Oil, further soothes, moisturizes and conditions skin. This most effective preparation helps protect against and repair the appearance of severe dryness caused by heavy industrial work, manual labor, neglect, or exposure to harsh elements.

    Next up, the Ultimate Strength Hand Salve. I don't have particularly dry hands; at worst my hands get those faint white lines of dryness and mild flakiness on the top of my hands. However, this product was crafted for people with super chapped hands, though I can't attest to that myself.

    Good:
    It works. It's a lovely rich cream that absorbs quickly and leaves a very light sheen on your hands. It's very moisturizing, lasts all day, and leaves a very soft, smooth finish.

    Bad:
    • Smells powerfully of cough drops, exactly like the Bosica Intensifying Moisture Pack incidentally. I like it but I totally can see people getting turned off by it.  The scent lingers on your hands a bit as well.
    • I noticed some reviewers say that this is greasy. Personally, I don't agree since I think this leaves the least "grease" behind, but it does leave some residue.... Ultimately, it's a matter of preference I guess.
    • Expensive. It retails at $13 for 2.5oz.

    I definitely like this product and think it works. However, if you are someone like me who just needs a quick pick-me-up moisturizer, I think other generic brands will do. I do like the sinus-clearing scent and the effectiveness; if my hands get drier in the future, I wouldn't mind buying it. However, unless your hands are chronically dry, I'm not sure it's worth the expense or the trouble of ordering it online.

    Upper right corner from LT to RT: Creme de Corps, Hand Salve, Lip Balm
    A Kiehl’s classic and #1 bestseller, soothing lips since 1969.
    • Temporarily protects and helps relieve chapped or cracked lips.
    • Helps protect lips from the drying effects of wind and cold weather.
    • Formulated with soothing emollients Squalane, Lanolin and Sweet Almond Oil as well as Vitamins A and E.

    Last is up is the famous Kiehl's Lip Balm #1. I'll just cut to the chase and say I have no idea why this is so popular. It's basically just petroleum jelly. Or a slightly lighter Vaseline.

    Good
    • No scent
    • Once you smooth it out and let it soak in, it goes well under lipstick
    • Has SPF 4
    Bad
    • It leaves way too much of of a slick on your lips if you accidentally squeeze out too much. Speaking of, that tube design is ridiculous. I hate using my fingers, but the tube design isn't really made for applying on lips so I have little choice.
    • It's not particularly moisturizing imho. 6 hours max on me.
    • $7 for .5 oz. for what is essentially petroleum jelly.

    Overall, I don't recommend this. I don't think it works shockingly well, it's pricey, comes in a tube of all things, and it's just...well it's just so ordinary. If you want lap balm with SPF, try the Sasatinnie Dolly Lip Smoothies or one of the many other SPF 4 lip balms available on the market. Basically, you're not missing much if you don't have this.

Total Pageviews