Review: My Scheming Bamboo Charcoal & Cryste Marine Whitening Double Lift Mask


    My sheet mask addiction is rearing it's pretty? head again and I've started dipping into my sheet mask collection again ;) This was my first My Scheming mask evaaa. My Scheming is a pretty well-known Taiwanese brand (I believe) and from what I've seen on the net, competes with My Beauty Diary in the sheet mask arena.

    Btw the slightly fanciful "cryste marine" is in fact a real ingredient (Kiehl's has a whole line based on it). To quote from Kiehl's: "The Criste Marine flower grows on rock formations aside the Mediterranean Sea and is known for its unique ability to boost cell renewal for a supple skin effect."

    Purchased at/Price: Twas a gift from ssushoo! But you can also get it on Sasa here for $7.20/5 pieces.

    Description:
    My Scheming Bamboo Charcoal & Cryste Marine Whitening Double Lifting Mask contains bamboo charcoal extract to hydrate, repair and brighten all types of skin. Tea tree and allantoin help tighten pores. It leaves skin brighter and smoother.


    The 3D elastic mask fabric, imported from Japan, is imprinted with over 600 elastic, rhombus-shaped grids to provide the face and the neck a comprehensive lifting.


    Ingredients:
    • Bamboo Charcoal Extract - activates cells and boosts blood circulation, and acts as adsorbent.
    • Melaleuca Alternifolia - has antiseptic, anti-allergenic, anti-inflammatory, healing and anti-mould virtues.
    • Chamomile Extract - has anti-inflammatory, itching-relieving, disinfecting and allergy-alleviating virtues.
    • Cucumber Extract - has hydrating, anti-inflammatory, moisturizing and calming virtues.
    • Water Lily - has astringent, antiseptic, wound-healing and antioxidant virtues, captures free radicals, calms, etc.
    • Glyoxyldiureide - has anti-inflammatory and soothing virtues, and aids in the regeneration of skin tissues.


    Directions:
    1. After cleansing, place the mask over your face.
    2. Hang the up lift hook of the facial part on the ear, then do the same way to hang the up lift hook of the neck part.
    3. Press it lightly onto your face.
    4. Leave on for about 15 – 20 minutes before removing the mask.
    5. Pat and leave for essence absorption.


    Experience:
    My first impression: what an oddly chemical yet oceanic smell this mask has.....

    Second impression: this is the weirdest effing mask I have ever seen! It looks all innocent all folded up, but then -


    So that's what "Double Lift" means: You are supposed to be able to hook the mask over your ears to somehow "encourage" you face to be subtly lifted. Also, the lovely quilted diamonds are supposed to help "lift" your face too, though I'm not sure how that would work. While that sounds good in theory, it's unrealistic in practice because you need to have a precisely shaped face to fit this mask. Anyway, I got the mask on my face (barely) and for one reason or another, my face warmed up a lot. No reactions/itchiness/breakouts though. After 20 minutes I took it off because it was starting to fall off my face as it dried, likely due to the heaviness of the cloth material. My face did seem brighter but overall, I was unimpressed. Perhaps with all the emphasis on "lifting" - this mask would be better for those with sagging skin?

    yeah.....

    Overall
    Fit: Abysmal. I don't think I have a particularly large face, but the ear holes for both the face and neck did not reach my ears. Otherwise, the mask was wayyy too large (as you can see by the excess mask around my forehead).

    Scent: A strange artificial scent that reminded me of the ocean. It smelled like a cross between an ocean breeze and a room freshener. Not offensive, but I could do without it.

    Mask texture: Very cool diamond texture; soft and quilted (like toilet paper!). It was quite thick as well. The downside of the thickness is that as the mask dried, it started peeling off your my under the weight of the mask itself. It also has a tendency to wrinkle up, whereas thinner masks stick to your face better.

    Excess serum: A good amount, plenty for your upper arms and such.

    Claims: This mask is supposed to do a whole slew of things (see Description & Ingredients above), but for me it just did the bare minimum a sheet mask usually does: temporarily brightened and plumped my face. I only had one mask to try so I don't know what the longer term effects would be, but I'm not convinced this mask would do much in terms of "lifting" - even with all the fancy ear hooks and such.

    Overall Results: This was a very interesting mask to try, but I doubt I would ever purchase it for these reasons:
    1. Such a hassle to wear. The multiple ear hooks, the awkward fit...:P
    2. The thickness of the mask, albeit luxurious, does not stay on your face very well as it dries.
    3. Didn't do much for me. As a sheet mask, it was very ordinary.
    I personally wouldn't recommend this particular mask, especially because I don't think the mask shape is very forgiving of most face shapes.

Total Pageviews